Archive:

Tom Ford’s secret womenswear collection is finally revealed

Tom Ford’s comeback to womenswear after a six year absence ­is fashion meganews. However the most highly anticipated fashion launch in recent years left fashionistas out on the pavement as only the most V of VIPs were invited to the exclusive event.

When Ford showed the collection in New York on September 12 only 100 fashion royalty guests were invited, photographers weren’t given access and he banned all journalists from revealing the collection. The newly elusive designer, who created the sexed-up Gucci/YSL look in the nineties, is doing things differently this time. In an interview with US Vogue he claims that he despises sections of the press and he objects to the way the internet eats up fashion images before the clothes can be bought. His decision to host an anti-publicity runway tossed bloggers, Twitterers and reporters into a quagmire of frustration. My own report on the non-collection was similarly vague.

However, just weeks before the collection hits stores, the veil surrounding Ford’s spring/summer 2011 collection has been pulled down as the images have finally been released in US Vogue and Harper’s Bazaar.

It turns out that the rumours circulating were true. Ford’s most glamorous friends and acquaintances, spanning Hollywood, music, society, and high fashion, had all dropped everything to fly in and model for him. Beyoncé Knowles, Lauren Hutton, Liya Kebede, Rinko Kikuchi, Stella Tennant, Amber Valletta, Natalia Vodianova, Karen Elson, Karlie Kloss, Abbey Lee Kershaw and Julianne Moore, amongst others, showcased a collection which reminded onlookers of Ford’s best collections for Gucci and Yves Saint Laurent.

“There’s a continuity from what I was doing at YSL at the end; that’s the customer,” Ford told US Vogue. “It’s about individuality. Real clothes, real women. For a fashionable woman aged 25 to 75. That’s why I literally put many of my own muses in the show. I hear them say, ‘God, I can’t find that anywhere!’ ”

The full interview with Tom Ford appears in the January issue of Harper’s Bazaar UK, out December 6.

Charlie Le Mindu’s naked fashion show

In contrast to the few articles who reported on it, Charlie Le Mindu’s naked fashion show for spring/summer 2011 hardly caused a stir in London. Over the years, Fashion Week has seen its fair share of weirdness as designers attempt to break the Last Taboo. However, according to the lack of coverage Le Mindu’s runway spectacle received it seems that full frontal nudity is practically a cliché.

The 24-year-old French wig maker unveiled a collection of black beehives, leopard print playsuits, bottle millinery, bright pink platforms and full-frontal nudity during his second collection at Fashion Week.

Born in rural France, Le Mindu studied hairdressing at Vidal Sassoon and Toni & Guy before turning to wigs and opening a studio in Shoreditch, East London where he’s now based.

Launching his label only a year ago he has generally been successful at grabbing the fashion media’s attention, thanks, in no small part, to his impressive client list, which includes Lady Gaga, MGMT, Bloc Party, VV Brown and Jodie Harsh.

At last year’s Fashion Week, he unveiled a full face headdress made of real mice and rat carcasses, outraging animal rights activists.

“I really like mice and rats,” he said at the time, “But everybody doesn’t like them and I just wanted to show people it could be really beautiful.” When asked if he was worried about the public’s reaction, he said: “It’s better to make them beautiful than give them to the snakes.”

www.CharlieLeMindu.com

Full collection here

Tom Ford’s secret collection

Making a surprise return to the fashion frontline, Tom Ford, who famously reinvented the Gucci brand, hosted a secret runway collection exclusive to 100 people, setting a new standard for the meaning of power in the fashion industry.

Fashion Month is a period when designers are eager to receive as much coverage, column inches and global reach as possible as they show their latest collections to a mass of journalists, celebrities and people-to-impress. However, Tom Ford, who did not appear on any schedules for New York fashion week has, yet-again, turned the fashion rule book on its head by hosting a secret show during New York Fashion Week.

(more…)

New York Fashion Week to feature first plus-size only runway show

US website OneStopPlus.com, a web-mall for plus-size women, will produce the first ever plus-size only runway show during New York Fashion Week on 15 September.

To be staged at The Atrium in Frederick P Rose Hall at the Lincoln Centre, famed curvy models, such as Lizzie Miller, Tocarra Jones and Emme, will walk the runway in the brands Spring 2011 collection.

Stephanie Sobel, President of OneStopPlus.com said, “The recent confluence of events and energy within the plus-size movement makes this the perfect time for OneStopPlus.com to debut at New York Fashion Week. Top plus-size models like Crystal Renn and Lizzie Miller in Italian Vogue, French Elle, Glamour, Marie Claire, and others, validate that this is the magic moment for plus sizes.”

OneStopPlus.com is a pioneer in the ever-changing fashion industry, proving that the 62% of American women who are plus-size can also experience the high-fashion lifestyle.

Zahir Babvani, VP of Design of OneStopPlus.com says, “This show is a collaborative effort to provide the extraordinary community of plus-size American women with the uncompromising style that they have always deserved but never received. It’s about inclusion and fashion democracy: fashion risk-taking and empowerment. No more seeing what you can’t have; this is a fashion party that invites and inspires everyone.”